The windmills are a legacy of Mallorca’s pre-industrial society, which harnessed the forces of nature to drive its economic activity. As technology progressed, these structures were progressively abandoned. Many of them fell into ruin or were converted. This folk-heritage has become an identifying feature of the landscape and of Mallorca’s historical heritage. In Santa Maria there are six wind-powered flour mills that have been preserved and are listed buildings. A seventh windmill, the “Molí d’en Millo”, which stood at the side of Camí de Passatemps (road), was demolished to make way for the Palma-Inca motorway in 1990. Santa Maria’s wind-powered flour mills were built in the 18th and 19th centuries; local historians attribute their construction to a lack of rainfall, causing the water-powered flour mills which ran on the irrigation water from the Coanegra spring to stand idle for whole seasons at a time. These windmills probably stopped working in the late 19th and early 20th century, when the first flour factories were set up. As for their features, Santa Maria’s windmills basically have a broad tower, surrounded by a house and with the milling machinery situated in the upper part of the tower.
Molí des Torrent
One of the best existing windmills is the Molí des Torrent, also known as the Molí de Tòfol, which was built in the late 19th century on the road from Santa Maria to Bunyola. It consists of a steeply tilted mill tower with a habitable base on two floors. Both the tower and the dwelling are done, uncommonly, in reddish stone. It was restored in 2008, when the roof and grille-type rotor were reinstated. Its six blades are intact. Today it’s a restaurant. Inside the base the tunnel-shaped vaults have been preserved. Location: 75, Bunyola Road (MA-2020)
Molino de Son Güia
The Son Güia windmill was also converted and is currently used as a dwelling, situated within the village. It’s a mill tower with a base. At present the tower is covered with modern materials and painted, although it seems that originally it was covered with a lime render, as is customary with some wind-powered flour mills. The base of the windmill has been considerably modified. In 2002 its roof and rotor were reinstated. It was Joan Baptista Villalonga (Güia) of Binissalem who had the windmill built. He purchased the estate in 1664 (Bernat Mas, 1987). The windmill is called variously Son Güia, d’en Gulla and dels Hostals. Ownership: private Location: Santa Catalina Tomàs Street
Molino de Son Torrella
Much was done to this windmill. It is in a rural location and is currently used as a dwelling. Architecturally it consists of a mill tower with a base, with a masonry construction system. One of the original tunnel-shaped vaults has been preserved. The land on which the windmill stands belonged to the “possessió” (large country estate) of Son Torrella (Gran Enciclopedia de Mallorca, vol. 17, 1991). Ownership: private Location: Puig del molí de vent, Camí de Coanegra.
Molino de can Crosseta
Currently used as a dwelling, architecturally this windmill consists of a tower with a base. The whole cluster of buildings has been completely modified, but the lower part of the tower is as it was originally. The Can Crosseta windmill, also known as the windmill on the Camí de Sant Jordi, was built prior to 1728 (Jaume de s’Arboçar, 2002). Ownership: private Location: PM-301 (behind the Son Güia car park)
Molino dels Molinets
Situated within the village, this windmill has recently been done up after falling into ruin. At present it is used as a dwelling. Architecturally it consists of a windmill tower and base. The tower is top-sliced. Inside, the original tunnel-shaped vaults have been preserved. Pieces of marés, a local stone, form the sides and lintels of the entrance doorway. Ownership: private Location: Molinets Street
Molino de s’Arboçar
Within the s’Arboçar lands, near the railway track, stands s’Arboçar Windmill – which, it seems, already existed in 1789. The tower still retains its cantilevered spiral staircase complete with stairs, and its entrance doorway with a lintel cut out of a single piece of stone. It has a small square base, which was used as a workshop, and a small dwelling built onto the side, which has been rebuilt but is not currently in use. Ownership: private Location: Camí de s’Arboçar