For its heritage


1-Town Hall

Casa de la Vila (Town Hall)
Civil architecture, built in the 17th century with a Renaissance-style façade. In the centre of the façade we find a relief with the escutcheon of the town (listed in the Spanish Heritage Register since 1963).
In the Council Chamber is the Gothic altarpiece by Joan Massana (1374-1412) and a Byzantine cross and a worked stone found during the archaeological dig at Cas Frares (1928).
It is currently occupied by the municipal offices and rooms, following adaptations by architects Guillermo Forteza (1928) and Gabriel Vidal Arcas (1970).
Location: 1, Plaza de la Vila

2- Son Llaüt Inn

A late 19th-century building in the style of a manor house. The date 1882 is on the wall.
Location: 2 and 2A, Plaça de la Vila

3-Ca s’apotecari

A late 19th-century dwelling in the style of a manor house. Today it has been converted into an interpretation centre for museum items and a centre for economic re-activation and revitalization, as well as a centre for the promotion and preservation of local heritage. It hosts temporary and permanent exhibitions. One can visit the old apothecary’s shop and Cas Frares mosaic room.
Location: 3, Plaça de la Vila

4-Cas Metge Rei

A Neoclassical-inspired 17th-century building. A plaque commemorates Miquel Cabot (1819-1872), who went as a missionary to Bolivia. The building currently serves as the Lending Library and exhibition hall.
1, Miquel Cabot Street

5-Ca Ses Monges Chapel

Convent of the Sisters of Charity and school, built in the early 20th century. The oratory decidated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus was designed in 1913 in the historicist style. It has a fine altarpiece and sanctuary, the work of sculptor Miquel Mir.
Location: 17, Rector Caldentey Street

6-Can Sanxo des Porxo

An 18th-century former Grand Town House with wine cellar. The building was given over to the parish in 1921 and is presently used by Ramon Llull Primary School.
Location: 1, Rector Caldentey Street

7-Parish Church

This is an 18th-century church built over the old 13th-century church. It was begun in 1702, by masters Lluc Mesquida Florit, his son Lluc Mesquida Rosselló and his brother. The first two keystones of the vaults, with the Town’s escutcheon, are by sculptor Josep Antoni Oms.
The altarpiece on the high altar dates from 1762. In the presbytery hangs the painting of Our Lady of the Way, by Joan Aragón. The organ, situated over the side door, was built by Lluís Navarro and finished by Damià Caimari.
The façade is done in the traditional Mallorcan Baroque style of the first quarter of the 18th century.
There is also a clock.
Next to the church is the old fosse or sacred ground, which has been converted into a garden. In it we can find the monument dedicated to Joan Perelló.
Location: Mossèn Joan Vic Street

8-Son Berenguer Inn

Also known as Can Berenguer. Although this inn must have already been there in the 18th or 19th century, its current appearance is 20th-century. That is when it was done up, and acquired its current regionalist-style physiognomy.
Location: 25-23, Llarg Street

9-Guardia Civil Barracks

Also known as Ca l’amo en Pere d’Orient, it was built between the late 19th and early 20th century. It used to be the Civil Guard barracks. The façade is flanked by two small watchtowers with battlements.
Location: 21, Ramon Llull Street

10-Son Seguí Inn

A 19th-century large town house in the regionalist style. It has an inscription on the façade with the date of construction (1920). It was designed by Andreu Bestard Cañellas and built by master stonemason Miquel Joan Mesquida (Cabil·la).
Location: 22, Ramon Llull Street

11-Former Flour Factory

Also known as Can Juncadella, built in the first decade of the 20th century, in the industrial style with features reminiscent of modernism, this was originally an electricity factory.
Location: 32 and 37, Marquès de la Fontsanta Street

12-Monastery of Minims

The Monastery of Minims, also known as Can Conrado, is placed chronologically between the 17th and 20th centuries. In 1682 the Minim friars settled in Santa Maria and by 1697 they had built their church and monastery, with school and pharmacy. In 1835 the monastery was abandoned and in 1843 it was bought by the Municipal Council. Since 1862 the Conrado family has held the Right of Patronage over the monastery.
In the Renaissance-style cloister we find the Conrado family coat of arms on the water tank. There is also a Gothic-style boundary cross, which came from Alaró, made between 1480 and 1520. The church is in the Baroque style. The façade features over the portal the 19th-century Conrado family coat of arms. The altarpiece of the high altar, dedicated to Our Lady of Solitude, comes from the parish church of Sant Jaume de Palma (1891).
Location: Bernat de Santa Eugènia Street

13-Ca’n Querol Former Hostelry

This is the most typical example of an old hostelry. The building dates from 1879. The first owner was Miquel Jaume Vic (Querol), who opened a bakery and tavern. He also went in for liqueur production and he created the La Payesa brand of aniseed liqueurs.
Location: 30, Bernat de Santa Eugènia Street

14-Train station

This opened in 1875, with the advent of the railway, which led to major expansion of the village, especially in the Hostals area. It’s currently occupied by the Casal de Joves (Young People’s Centre).
Location: Sant Antoni Street, no number

15-Hortus Water Mill

20th-century water mill.
Location: Camí de Coanegra, no number

16-Ca’n Orell Former Hostelry

A former hostelry that dates from 1801. Better known as Salom Café.
Location: 5, Plaça dels Hostals

17-Can Quelet

A 17th-century large town house. In 1680 it was referred to in a document as Hostal d’en Morell (hostelry). Today it’s a restaurant.
Location: 26, Plaça dels Hostals

18-Can Mort

A large town house from the early decades of the 20th century, formerly known as Massanella Hostelry. The master builder who worked on this building is believed to have been Sebastià Romaguera. Towards 1925 it had a shop and a tavern. In one of its dwellings local-born cyclist Antoni Gelabert Amengual (1921 to 1956) resided. Horrach carbonated drinks factory occupied this building from 1910 to 1979.
Location: 23, 23A, 23B, 23C, Plaça dels Hostals

19-Can Burbaia

In 1595, Esteve Conrado bought the building and did it up, and in 1682 it was occupied by the first community of Minims to settle in Santa Maria. Tradition has it that the cross-beam of the central bay comes from the masts of the boat on which Esteve Conrado sailed to Mallorca. According to oral information, in the 18th century it functioned as a hostelry. Later on, in the late 19th century, it was the customs guards’ barracks. From 1918 Can Burbaia carpenter’s shop worked out of it. Finally, in 1966 it became a restaurant.
Location: Antoni Gelabert Street

20-Sa Sínia

An old well that dates from 1672. Its origins lie in the prehistoric period. It’s an old well connected with livestock transhumance. It remained in use throughout the period of Islamic rule and subsequently. The Gothic arcades -demolished in 1932- and the well-neck were built by Master Xorba, amongst others. In 1992 the arcades were restored, and thereby the well recovered its original physiognomy.
Location: Corner of Antoni Gelabert Street and Andria Street

Print Friendly, PDF & Email